Getting professional dental care can be a polarizing topic. Some people love having their oral hygiene taken of for them, while others dread going to the dentist. No doubt one of the first questions a dentist will ask when they first see a patient is if you’ve been flossing. Teeth brushing may be the common standard in dental health, but the benefits of flossing basics cannot be overlooked. Here are three important reasons to floss daily (or at least semi-regularly).
1.) Plaque and Tartar Buildup: The most basic reason to add flossing to your daily oral care routine is because brushing you teeth simply doesn’t get everything. Brushing only cleans about 70% of your teeth. It’s important to floss to take care of the other 30%. Not only does flossing get small particles of food left behind stuck in between teeth, but also fights microscopic bacteria that can cause plaque, which eventually will lead to tartar buildup. If left untreated these can cause the inflammation of gum tissue, a disease known as gingivitis. Overall, about 75% of the U.S. population has been affected by gum disease.
2.) Save Money: How can rubbing a string between two teeth save you money? By eliminating the need to pay for cavities and fillings you might incur from the plaque and tartar buildup mentioned earlier. A canister of floss will cost you a couple dollars, treating bad teeth can end up costing hundreds, if not thousands.
3.) Overall Health: Besides your oral health flossing carries many other health benefits as well. There have been many medical studies that correlate the relationship between things like gum disease and hearth complications. Some people even believe good overall gum health can have a positive affect on your bodies immune system.
While the extent to which flossing can benefit an individual may vary, it’s been proven to be an effective tool to combat mouth ailments and should be added to every person’s personal hygiene arsenal sooner rather than later. In fact, experts suggest you should be flossing your child?s teeth as soon as he or she has two teeth that touch.